Christine Hallett and Hannah Cooke (2011) Historical Investigations into the Professional Self-Regulation of Nursing and Midwifery: 1860-2002. Manchester University Press, held in the Nursing and Midwifery Council Archive.
- This provides a detailed account of the registration progress and details the changes of the regulation of the nursing profession up from the mid 19th century up until the early 21st century
Rosemary Cook (2014) The Battle for the Bill. http://www.independentnurse.co.uk/professional-article/the-battle-for-the-bill/63664.
- Useful article to gain an understanding of the battle for registration and Ethel Gordon Fenwick’s role in the process
Jenny Main (1978) Ethel Bedford Fenwick, The First Nurse. Librario.
- Biography on Ethel Gordon/Bedford Fenwick
Susan McGann, Fenwick (nee Mason), Gordon, Ethel, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, https://www.oxforddnb.com/view/10.1093/ref:odnb/9780198614128.001.0001/odnb-9780198614128-e-33106
- Useful brief biography of Mrs Fenwick’s life and work.
Ethel Gordon Fenwick, ‘The International Council of Nurses, A Message From Its President’, The American Journal of Nursing, Vol. 1, No. 11, (August 1901), pp.785-790.
- Article by Ethel Gordon Fenwick which outlines the aims of the ICN. It includes criticisms of imperialism and colonialism and shows Mrs Fenwick’s support for internationalism.
Howard-Thornton L (2016) Lest we forget…?. ‘The Bulletin of the UK Association of the History of Nursing’ (UKAHN) v5 pp.72-74.
Nursing Midwifery Council, ‘Ethel Fenwick’s story‘,
- Biography of Ethel Gordon Fenwick, SRN number 1. Published as part of the Nursing and Midwifery Council 100 years of registration celebration
Steve Ford, ‘Remember Ethel Gordon Fenwick and the magnificent gift she gave to nursing’